Documentation for the AscToHTM conversion utility
This documentation can be downloaded as part of the documentation set in .zip format (370k)
We listen to all suggestions, and indeed many of the features added have been in direct response to customer feedback. (You couldn't expect us to invent all this stuff on our own now, could you? :)
Registered users are free to make bug reports or suggestions for enhancements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We try to fix bugs ASAP, and to date have usually shipped fixes to specific problems within 72 hours, but we can't promise this response time.
We used to maintain a bug list, but we prefer spending the time fixing them rather than documenting them.
All good software has features (ask Microsoft).
- Links in the link dictionary that have some common text may get confused. The problem generally is that having put some HTML markup into your line, it becomes hard not to search the contents of that markup subsequently.
This is my problem not yours. Unless it catches you out when, of course, it becomes your problem, not mine.
- Bullet characters inside section headings used to cause confusion.
The following are consequences of how the program works, and may take longer to "fix"
- The program currently assumes a structure of contents list and/or main body. It doesn't (yet) cope with Appendices. Nor does it cope with several sections all with their own numbering systems.
- Certain algorithms put a <BR> on the end of the line. Where these algorithms "misfire" you may find unexpected breaks in large paragraphs.
Over time more of these will be configurable via the document policy, but originally we tried to avoid the need for such micro-control.
Many, many features have been added in direct response to (registered) users requests. Many, thanks to all those who've come up with suggestions and feedback (you all know who you are).
a single text file by
© 1997-2001 John A Fotheringham